NovaTuff P-585 Rust-Rehab is a rust converter, primer, and sealer. It penetrates the rust to sound metal, chemically converting the rust to a tough black, non-removable, non-rusting magnetite and sealing it to the surface.
Rust-Rehab serves as a primer coat, ready for top coating or as a stand-alone protective coating. It is a flexible sealer and will not surface crack.
Rust-Rehab permanently converts surface rust on metal to inert black iron oxide and seals the metal surface. When used as a primer or topcoat, it is proven to protect untreated, bare metal surfaces against moisture and other corrosive elements.
Rust-Rehab is suitable for use on metal surfaces on “any size” project involving Transportation, Marine, Industrial & Commercial, Farm and Home applications.
- Dries to a tough black, non-removable, and non-rusting magnetite
- Converts existing rust and prevents new oxidation
- Reacts with rust to create a new long-lasting protected surface
- Surface can be top coated for maximum protection in harsh conditions
- Safe, no solvents, and low odors
- Brush, Roll, or Spray pump application
- Does not evaporate off the surface of metal
- Rarely requires reapplication
- Easy to apply
Benefits compared to phosphoric acid treatment:
- Non-Polluting, Non-Toxic, Non-Corrosive, contains no Mineral Acids.
- Compatible with all types of Paints: Latex, Epoxy, Acrylic, Urethanes, Etc.
- Will not diminish the structural integrity of the metal surface.
- No shipping restrictions.
- Chemically converts rust to magnetite, which is stable and non-rusting.
- Remove loose paint and rust scales and heavy buildup with a wire brush, leaving only a rusty base.
- IMPORTANT: Remove all oil, grease, salt, or water-soluble chemicals with a high strength detergent cleaner.
- Rinse well with fresh water and let dry.
Shake NovaTuff Rust-Rehab container thoroughly before opening. Measure the estimated amount needed for the job into a clean container. NOTE: Rust-Rehab cannot be returned to the original container due to rust contamination. Use of rubber or latex gloves and eye protection is recommended. Contact will cause temporary skin discoloration that will wear off over a short period of time; it is not permanent. For maximum penetration, work Rust-Rehab into rusted surfaces with a synthetic bristle brush. On large areas, apply Rust-Rehab to rusted surface with a roller, pump or airless sprayer. Overlaying Rust-Rehab over the non-rusting areas will not have a negative effect — it leaves a clear coating to protect clean area. For best results apply 2 thin coats of 3 wet mils each coat at a rate of 500 sq ft/gallon/coat within 40 to 60 minutes of each other and in a cross direction to previous coat. Allow Rust-Rehab to dry at least 24 hours before top coating. Rust-Rehab dries to a black matte finish.
Dry Film Application Rate:
|To Yield Dry Film Of||Apply Sq. Ft. Per Gallon|
|1 mils||500 Sq. Ft.|
DO NOT apply product heavier than 1 mils per coat. If more is needed, apply in multiple coats. Allow NovaTuff Rust-Rehab to become tack-free before applying additional coats or approximately 8hrs at 80ºF.
NovaTuff Rust-Rehab should always be applied in well-ventilated areas. Surfaces should be free of foreign matter. DO NOT apply product near an open flame.
All equipment, brushes, rollers, and sprayers should be cleaned immediately after job is completed. Clean with warm, fresh water and dish detergent. Once Rust-Rehab has dried you are unable to remove it.
- 1 gal jug
- 5 gal pail
- 50 gallon drum
(Approximate weight of product: 9.33 lb/gal)
Testing and Misc:
- Color: Black matte finish
- Solids Content: 30 wt. %
- Weight per Gallon: 9.33 lbs
- VOC: less than 80 g/l
- Coverage: 500 sq ft / gal
Shelf Life and Storage Conditions:
Store in accordance with instructions, with seals and labels intact and legible. 12 months shelf life is expected for products stored between 40°F (4.5°C) – 100°F (38°C).
Do not allow products to freeze.
For further assistance, contact one of our technicians via phone or e-mail: